Students will be able to pursue life-long physical fitness though:
* Understanding nutrition
* Knowing basic exercise physiology
* Developing strong fitness habits, including stretching and dietary awareness
* Accomplishing core fitness goals
* Understanding the medical and social benefits of good decisions involving mental health, substance use, and sexual behavior
* Practicing good decision-making skills.
923 Health Education ½ credit
This course includes the study of all areas of physical health: nutrition, mental health, drug use and abuse, human sexuality, and the prevention of communicable diseases. This course will also teach students decision-making skills so that they can put into practice the knowledge they gain in this class about good physical and mental health.
Students at Archbishop Carroll must successfully complete at least two physical education experiences; one should be completed in grades 9-10; the second should be completed in grades 11-12. Each experience will earn a half credit toward graduation and will be graded on a pass/fail basis.
Ways to Earn P.E. Credit
Students may earn each P.E. Credit in the following ways:
* Participation in an Archbishop Carroll athletic team (1 season= ½ credit)
* Participation in an Archbishop Carroll Lifetime Wellness Activity (1 season=½ credit)
* Participation in courses approved by the administration for Physical Education credit
* Participation in an Independent Study for Physical Education
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What options are there for inexperienced athletes?
A: Students can receive credits for participating in approved Lifetime Wellness Activities. In addition, we have at least one team each season that does not cut athletes who meet all requirements for try-outs.
Q: Can you only earn the athletic credit for a Carroll-sponsored activity?
A: No, if the activity is not offered at Carroll, then students may apply for an Independent Study for Physical Education. If the activity is offered at Carroll, then students can only earn the athletic credit for participation in the Carroll activity.
Q: What courses at Archbishop Carroll can qualify for the P.E. requirement?
A: For the 2015-2016 school year, the following courses are offered:
910 Latin Dance
252 Show Choir
Q: Does my participation as a team manager count for credit?
A: Yes, for the 2015 - 2016 school year.
Q: Can I earn more than the 1 credit required for PE?
A: Yes, all of your participation can be reflected on your transcript.